Sunday, December 11, 2011

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #1




I would like to use this blog to help viewers to better understand Abstract Art. I will use my own paintings as prime examples. My explanation of the artistic techniques used in my paintings are based on my life long painting experience and to a lesser degree I will draw on Mary Acton's book "Learning to look at Modern Art".

My paintings will not be displayed in the sequence they were completed, but later when I get more into the rhythm of blogging, a sequencing may occur.

I will try to post a different painting every week.

THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING: "Lunescence" (Mixed media) 90x90cm

This painting deals with the dialectic Night and Day. It captures the transient balance between the opposites. The title “Lunescence” suggests a nocturnal influence and alludes to the elusive moment when night turns to day. The painting depicts the importance of maintaining a balance in nature for the continued health of this planet.

Painting techniques to achieve this:-

I have used contrast to depict duality. For example the painting has a shiny + dull effect, its texture is both smooth + rough, colours are bright + dark, and paint is fluid + static. The discordant use of orange is off set by a deep purple. The composition is balanced and has a horizontal emphasis. The square shape of the painting is emphasized by the square moon done in silver leaf. This gives the overall feeling of balance.