Friday, July 20, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #33


“Thoughts Moving in Consciousness #1”  Satsang Series 
(Acrylic and Ink on handmade paper) 
Size:  104x70cm (unframed)


THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING:

This painting is a meditation.  It is one of a series of paintings I did on this subject while I was in India.  It represents thoughts moving in and out of consciousness in the Now.

Art is a way of externalizing ideas and thoughts.  In this painting I am conveying to you the viewer, BEING through paint.  It is portrayed in an abstract way because the concept is abstract.  At the time of painting I was spending time in an ashram where meditation was practiced regularly.

Art Techniques used to achieve this:

Yellow always represents joy for me.  Therefore the painting is predominantly yellow.  Colour perception is always subjective and different individuals may perceive colours differently. 

I initially applied various coloured inks to the paper and then eliminated that which was unnecessary.  Inks have a very vibrant saturation and represent my thoughts as I observed them arising in my consciousness during the painting process. The overall composition feels balanced although the inks are applied randomly. This was because I overpainted that which was not necessary.

There is little texture to the painting as I wanted to give a refined finish.  There is purposely no perspective or design to the painting.  It is very subjective.  It represents the Now.
http://www.buderimartstudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment