Tuesday, February 19, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #65





“Bones”
Acrylic
90x120cm 

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

 “Bones” talks about things past that are the underpinnings for what is Now.  The painting grew out of an earlier painting (see below).  This earlier unresolved painting was done during a difficult period in my life.  It was from this, that “Bones” came into being at a later stage in my life. 

I am very reluctant to date any of my paintings. This is because I think that paintings can be continued at a later stage in time.  It is up to me as the artist, to say when a painting is finished and that has to be flexible because painting is a way of life – my life.  Until I have reached a time when I do not paint, then any painting that I hold in my possession is open to re-working if I see fit. 

Over the recent years many art competitions specify that a painting has to be done within a certain time-frame.  That is quite impossible in my view, because an artist can go back to working on it when and if they like, while they are living.  There is a recent tendency to “define painting within the strict perimeters of accountability”.  I really object to this because while it is still in my possession it is available to undergo alterations, refinements and name changes. 

Yes, I concede that it is convenient for those who catalogue an artist’s work to have access to this information after the artist has died, but while they are living, then the paintings are still subject to the artist’s inspiration and whim.

It is different however if the work has been sold.  Then it belongs to the buyer.  Yes an artist’s work can evolve and go through stages during their career but generally one can follow the progress of an artist throughout their life as being unique and an individual statement of that person.  Painting is very much like a person’s signature – its hard to change or if it does, that in itself, is noteworthy.

“Bones” is a case in point.  The painting is a resolution of the earlier work seen here.



Artistic techniques used in this painting:

 The white images, representing bones, are scattered across the flat aqua surface much like shamanic bones are cast to divine the future.  The viewer’s eyes move around the painting.  However the unobtrusive yellow and white marks in the centre-right create tension that if not there, would render the painting bland and boring.
The tone is high because there is a relatively high contrast between the aqua of the background and the white bones.  The overall feeling that the painting inspires is that of calmness.  This is created by the dominant aqua which is a calming colour.  Note the difference between the final painting and its predecessor which is turbulent. 
The composition is balanced because of three corners of the canvas have “bracket-like” shapes that frame and stabilize the overall image.  This painting is resolved as far as I (its creator) is concerned and it no longer belongs to me so I will never change it at a future time.  However I cannot promise that for those paintings I hold in my possession – they are always open to change!!  Excuse the pun, but I am making no bones about that...

I would love to hear what you think about the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment