Friday, March 8, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #67





“The Fractured Earth #4”  Rockscape Series 
(Watercolour, Acrylic and Silver Ink on Handmade Paper) 
Size:  83x98cm (framed)


THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING:

I am working on a series of ten watermedia paintings on paper. They were inspired by the rocks along the coastline near where I live at Point Cartwright.  The rocks are volcanic and have been formed by the cooling of lava eons ago.  I took many photos of these formations because, to my eye, they are very beautiful.  I attach here one of the photos of these natural volcanic formations.



As you can see I have painted the composition in a realistic way but have taken liberties from that point, in that I have then used creative techniques to further develop the painting a contemporary way.  Therefore the viewer can see that the photo is the same in the painting, but that is all. 

This series of paintings open for discussion questions such as sustainability and environmental awareness in this modern environment.  It is no secret that our beautiful Earth is beset by pollution and the magical blue planet is becoming degraded.  My paintings in this series serve to draw attention to the fact the beauty which we enjoy may not be the same for future generations to enjoy.  What we now take for granted is under threat.  We all need to be aware and
responsible for our Earth’s care which includes the oceans and coastlines.

Art Techniques used to achieve this:

Each painting in this series is done on a full size sheet watercolour paper.  Initially I used a wash of watercolour - Windsor Blue+ Indian Red to represent the water-hole in the rock surface.  I wet the centre of the sheet and let it stand so that it has is fairly saturated before applying the watercolour wash.  I kept the surrounding paper dry.  The crack in the rock face is created by indenting the paper with the wooden end of my brush while the paper is still wet so that the watercolour runs into it.  I then let it dry. 

The surrounding area was painted with acrylic paint and applied with a roller.  I used stylized images of fish to represent the alarming number of dead fish I see washed up on the Mooloolaba beach when I go walking.  I borrowed these images from ancient Japanese pottery and rendered them in silver ink. 

The overall colour palette consists of subtle variations on blue.  Blue is symbolic for our Earth - it being the blue planet.   The only deviation from blue is the yellow ochre splash in the upper segment of the circle and the ochre that I used around the perimeter of the circle which depicted the waterhole in the rock formation.  A circle is a universal symbol of wholeness and wellbeing.  I was prompted to paint this image when I saw the perfect circular water-hole in the rock formation.    The tone of the overall painting is high which means not too much light/dark contrast.  There is not attempt at perspective but it is rather stylized and flat with a static composition.  This type of composition is called a medallion because the subject takes up most of the painting surface and is positioned in the centre.

All ten of the Rockscape Series deal with some aspect of the degradation of the Earth’s oceans.  This particular one (#4) deals with the depletion of the fish population in the oceans.  It is estimated that the oceans’ fish populations will be reduced by the year 2050 to an alarming low number.  I will present more from the Rockscape Series over the next year.  Do you think that this painting conveys my message?

No comments:

Post a Comment