Saturday, April 7, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #18



“Neo Icon” (Diptych)

(Mixed Media with Gold Leaf) - 70x206cm

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

Easter is a contemplative time of year so I thought I would discuss my painting titled “Neo Icon”. An “Icon” originally meant a sacred painting. However along with the computer age, the meaning of the word “Icon” has changed and is currently used for something totally unrelated to its original meaning. With this in mind I have created an artwork that represents the true meaning of the word but have abstracted it in keeping with these more secular times.

I have used two large sheets of handmade paper from India and rendered them to look like aged leather. The reverse side also has a leather look. This allows it to be hung from the ceiling as a divider of space. Alternately it could be attached to a wall without a frame or if a frame is required then it could be suspended between two pieces of clear perspex. The artwork is meant to give a sense of boundlessness.

The circle traditionally is the spiritual symbol for wholeness. It also symbolizes a halo. In this painting, the circle surrounds the point where the two streams of energy unite. It is meant to represent the divine energy flowing from the right and uniting with human energy (on left). This theme has been shown in the famous work of Michelangelo where God’s and Adam’s fingers touch. The gold leaf is symbolic of the divine energy and sanctity.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

If I paint something totally outside the experience of the viewer, they do not understand and lose interest. But if I paint something that gives the viewer a clue where I am headed, then they start to understand. This is what I have done in this painting.

I started this painting with an idea that I wanted to paint something like the old icons of Eastern Europe, capturing the richness and mystery that they exude but also painting my subjective interpretation of the Divine as it connects with humanity.

I initially poured yellow and black paint onto the surface of the two sheets of paper and allowed them to flow together. I determined the direction of the flow so that they met in the centre. I then set about to achieve the richness and luminosity that ancient icons give forth. The richness of the colours are achieved by many glazes of transparent colour built up together with acrylic gel medium which creates a texture like leather.

The circle (see detail above) was achieved with yellows and oranges in watercolour paint on watercolour paper cut to shape and applied to the handmade papers. This was fixed securely and reinforced so as not to tear apart. The gold leaf was then applied so that an aged look is achieved.

This is a sacred painting and appropriate for Easter. How does it affect you?

Would you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment