Friday, April 13, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #19





“The Fractured Earth #2 – Rockscape Series

(Watercolour on paper) - 57x76cm (Framed 83x98cm)

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

I have nearly finished a series of large abstract watercolour paintings. The concept for this series of 10 paintings addresses pollution of the coastal shoreline and oceans. I take my inspiration from the rocky coast line at Point Cartwright near where I live on the east coast of Australia on the Sunshine Coast.

The small photo (seen above) is one of a number of photos I have taken of the rock formations. These natural formations provide the semi-abstract look which I prefer for my art practice. The topic of Rockscapes fascinates me. These rocks are volcanic and have become fractured by the natural cooling process thousands of years ago. They have weathered with the ravages of time.

Rock formations like these tell of this Earth’s early beginnings and have the symbolic qualities of endurance and strength - masculine qualities.

I have predominantly chosen watercolour for this series because water reflects feminine qualities of fluidity, softness and spirituality. By bringing masculine and feminine qualities together in harmony serves to provide balance to the imbalance that is occurring in the environment at this time

Watercolour is , more often than not, used in a representational way. This medium also has the reputation of being very difficult to master. Therefore I decided to paint abstract rock formations in a semi-abstract way using full sheets (57x76cm) of watercolour paper.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

Watercolour painting is very different to that of acrylic or oils. The purity of the colours depends on knowledge of three types of colour groups – transparent, opaque and staining. These are mixed according to the effect that is desired. Blacks are achieved by mixing the strong staining colours i.e. alizarin crimson and windsor green or alizarin crimson and windsor blue. White is not generally used in watercolour painting. The light from the white paper serves to give the transparent glow for which watercolours are renowned. The white of the paper is also used to depict light.

The quality of the watercolour paper is also important. Heavy paper (at least 300 gsm) prevents buckling when wet. Paper comes in different textures also. The type of brushes you use is also another important factor in watercolour painting. In my opinion genuine sable brushes give the best results - although they are rather expensive they are worth it.

The colours used in “The Fractured Earth” #2 are not representative of the subject but were chosen for their beauty and harmony. The composition is true to the photo and because I took the photo, I suppose my eye for composition instinctively came into play because the overall composition is balanced with the vertical line dividing the rectangle of the paper into a square – the proportions of which are roughly reminiscent of either a Georgian Section (1:1.141) or a Golden Mean (1:1.62). These proportions both give any composition inherent qualities of harmony and balance.

The paint Is applied in washes and glazes. There are many “do’s” and “don’ts” in watercolour painting and it is up to each individual to decide the extent they which to go with regard to rules. I believe that rules are there as guidelines. If an effect is desired then the rules should not stand in the way of achieving that effect. Each person has to make up their own mind on what they want to get out of the painting experience – for myself, I like to experiment and push the paint as far as it can go to achieve a desired effect. I feel that there are no mistakes in paint, only different experiences… a bit like life, don’t you think?

2 comments:

  1. Tami - this is beautiful - such wonderful colours and the inspiration is embedded there for ever!! Something very special about this!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wyn. I appreciate your comments. I am always fascinated by the rocks around our coastline. They give me inspiration. Watercolour also capture something special. I will show you the series sometime. It is nearly finished. Cheers, Tami.

      Delete