Friday, May 4, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #22



“Passion”   (Acrylic) -  90x120cm  

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

This painting is purely abstract.  The colour red predominates in this painting. Red is rich in symbolic meaning and imbues us with energy.  The title “Passion is derived from the psycho-physiological effects that the colour red has on human beings throughout the world.  Red is considered to be associated with “passion”.  The four basic emotions of human beings are love, anger, sadness and fear.  Passion would be associated with both “love” or “anger”.  Being an art therapist, I would remind you, the reader, that one cannot presume to know which of these two emotions is represented in this painting.  The viewer often projects aspects of themselves onto a painting, so I would suggest that instead of “reading” an emotion into this painting; just see it for what it is – “Passion”.

In this painting, the intense colour was derived from the under painting and also a variety of different types of reds.  Therefore it is a unique red.  Unfortunately the internet does not portray the colours of my paintings accurately.  I spend considerable time mixing my colours, and harmonizing or contrasting my palette.  This subtlety is lost by digital reproduction through photography and the internet.

One of my passions is nature.  
Artistic techniques used in the painting:

My relationship with colour is very strong.  The mixing of the pigments is very relaxing and it is recognized by science that certain colours affect mood.   Oft times I will plan my palette before beginning a painting.  I tend to allow the paint to stimulate my imagination. 


Subjects 1, 2 and 3 show that I started off with water crayons and then progressed from there into acrylics.  None of the water crayons remained visible in the finished work.  It’s a little like going on an adventure of discovery.  Discovery of what I will learn from the painting process from both an objective and subject view point.  The objective being about how I can create an aesthetically pleasing and technically correct effect with the paint.  Subjectively, what I discover about myself in the process.
Borders have been a recurring feature in some of my paintings and this one is no exception.  Texture in most of my paintings is to a minimum.  This is achieved through the use of a roller.  The composition is balanced by both sides having inferences of form which draws the eye to the predominating red space in the centre and the yellow/green coloured border above.  The painting has no movement – it is static.  Red suggests energy however in this painting the overall effect suggests harmony and calmness.

2 comments:

  1. Tami - love this the red is so vibrant and - 'passionate' - the curled edges suggest fabric - the whole emotion of the painting is caught in those curls!!
    cheers!! Here's to the trees also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Wyn. We haven't heard anything from anyone re the trees, but they are still standing... So all good at present. See you soon. Cheers, Tami.

    ReplyDelete