Saturday, May 19, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #24



"Honesty"  (Acrylic on Masonite)  Size 77x103cm

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

We’ve all heard of dirty linen getting aired in public.  But in this painting it is “clean linen” as opposed to “dirty laundry” being aired.  The painting is called “Honesty”.  

The subject matter – clean laundry was central to my life at that time having had four babies within three years.  Upon reflection, it surprises me that I had time to paint at all.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

The palette uses Analogous colours of Blue/Violet/Red and White.  The Complimentary colour Yellow is also used.  As I have said in earlier posts, I spend quite a bit of time mixing my palette.  I have not used Black.  The painting is in mid tonal value.

The composition again is flat which a characteristic of most of my paintings is.  I have made no attempt of anchor the subject (the laundry basket) to the ground.  The shape of the basket takes most of the canvas and its rectangular shape repeats the shape of the whole painting.  The repeated patterning of the plastic basket creates rhythm and the variation in the colour theme in the last third of the canvas adds interest and provides a vertical emphasis which is balanced by the shape of the pink linen in the basket.  Imagine if that was not there – the subject would then become boring.  I have never tired of this painting probably due to the subtlety of its colours and the honesty for which it speaks.  It always seems fresh to me.

What do you think of the title?  Do you think it conveys the essence of the painting?

The previous three posts have addressed a local issue about trees and for those who have responded, I am happy to say that, although there has been no correspondence or communication from the Sunshine Coast Council, the surveyor pegs on the property have been removed and the trees in questions are still standing.  A big THANK YOU to all who sent emails.

Next week I will take Mathew Collings analysis of “What is Beauty” and apply it to some of my art over a few of the following weeks.

http://www.buderimartstudio.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment