Friday, September 21, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #42





MY BOOK - “The Power of Creating” by Tanmayo  
eBook (free) and Hardcover Book (at cost)  
8x8cm  x  110 pages



Today I release my book “The Power of Creating”.  It is available in eBook (free) and Hardcover (at cost).  This is the link









ABOUT MY BOOK:

This is an extract from my new book:  “We all have different ways of expressing ourselves creatively.  Some of us are creative in work and making money, others are creative with technology etc.  Each of us is born with unique gifts to express ourselves and make our mark in life, and we feel happiest when we are using our creative strengths.  This is the way we fulfil ourselves.  This is what fuels our power.

Power is something that is sought in life but with little understanding of just what it is.  For instance many people think of power in terms of strength, or domination, but there is a lot more to power than that.  I am excited to be bringing to you the concept of the power of creating.  The ability to create is available for all and through this we can communicate with others to share our thoughts and feelings.  I just think how useful self expression is and how helpful it has proved to be for my own understanding of life’s processes.

This book tells a story about how I use my creativity to explore life as it unfolds in the present moment.  The paintings I share with you, chronicle important stages in my life’s journey.

Painting is my creative form of expression – it is the thing I enjoy doing the most.  So I have used my paintings and poems to illustrate my life. 

We each have our own idea of what will make us happy, and we can spend a lot of time looking for this elusive happiness.  I have simply used my creativity as a way to happiness.

As you look at the artwork in my book, you will find yourself wondering what the paintings mean.  Many of my paintings are abstract.  You may not have been bothered with paintings like these before.  You may initially feel you do not understand them.  Without looking further you will be able to satisfy this query for yourself, by looking at the explanation here on “Understanding Abstract Art”, which will help you to see my paintings in a different light.  It takes little time to read and it will give you a better understanding of abstract art.  The way you perceive the artworks also says something about you too, so take this opportunity. 

I hope you enjoy just looking at the paintings and reading the book as a retrospective of my art with each chapter representing a different stage in my personal journey.

In any case I hope that my paintings will encourage you to better appreciate the creative talents you have and help you to live a fulfilling life in whatever way you decide is best for you.  Remember, power comes from creating.
Abstract art requires you to ask yourself…


                Does the artwork create a feeling – happy/sad/angry?
Does the colour/title/composition/media convey a feeling?
                        Does size matter?

            Does it make you think or question?
Do you have to interact with it in some way i.e. technology/ using lights/sound/touch?

            Does it tell a story or no story?
                        Does it convey an idea?
                        Is there more than one layer of meaning – complexity?
                        Is it ambiguous or contradictory?
                        Is it just a pretty picture empty of meaning?
                        Does having no title make a statement?

Does it deliberately break the technical rules of art?
Is it purely an exercise in art technique with no meaning?
Does the composition feel balanced/unbalanced?
Do the colours harmonize/jar?
Does your eye travel to one area or all over the painting?

            Does the price of the artwork influence your perception of it worth?

            What was your initial response?
                        Has your initial response changed after considering the above?
It’s about you too – it’s an interaction - a two way form of visual communication.”.


I am keen to read your comments on what you think.  In next week’s post I will continue to analyse my abstract paintings.

2 comments:

  1. Tami - this looks Wonderful!! Will explore later when I take time out from the studio - but well done - it will be fun to read and explore your images!! Wow!! I have tweeted you as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wyn, Yes I feel happy that it is finished and I can get back to painting. Congratulations on the Artist in Residence position. Looking forward to having a chat soon. Cheers, Tami.

    ReplyDelete