Friday, September 28, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #43





“Buderim Forest”
(Synthetic Polymer)  
90x90cm 

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

This painting evolved out of the videoing of a short documentary on my art. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ2MzRmoKBA  .
Much of my art addresses abstract subjects like the destruction of the natural environment in this century. In this painting I demonstrate the creative process of abstracting my work.

The area of the rainforest I was painting was the inner core of Buderim Forest where last year stood a dense natural forest of palms.  It is no longer there because not long after this painting was finished, this area was burnt by vandals.  At present it is a barren space in the heart of Buderim Forest.  It will regenerate but it will take time.

This painting alludes to the life force that mysteriously speaks of the hidden secrets of the natural world - things that should be treasured, nurtured and preserved but are presently in danger of being destroyed.  
 
Artistic techniques used in the painting:

As you can see from the video, I started the painting by pouring paint onto the canvas.  I was demonstrating just how random the beginning of a painting can be.  I used a restricted pallet of colours.  I selected them to appeal to the feeling of wellbeing which a rainforest exudes. 

I used house paints because I was flagrantly demonstrating not to be too precious about art making.  The selection of colours was Hot Pink, Purple, Warm Yellow, Cerulean Blue and Lime Green.  I do not usually use house paints but will do so on occasion to stimulate my creativity.  It is well known that many major Australian artists have also used house paint and enamel paints in their paintings... Sidney Nolan and Ian Fairweather, to name a couple.   

I used a roller to apply the paint.  Also I spread paper over the wet paint and randomly stamped the imprint back onto the canvas.  I also allowed the paint to run. You can see where the lines appeared that magiced a third dimension out of the two dimensional canvas.  Gradually trees appeared on the flat surface. 

My intention in doing this was to show how this random application of paint generates excitement and stimulates the creative process.  Those who have been following my blog posts know that this is not the way I usually work.  In this painting I used this approach to demonstrate for the video, the way creative order can evolve out of random chaos. 

Vertical lines dominate the painting.  They speak of the vertical thrust of the tall tropical rainforest trees.  I wanted to portray a feeling of being enveloped and nurtured by nature - a feeling that one feels when walking through Buderim Forest. 

Although green is the dominant colour in any forest, Buderim Forest it is not a cold harsh environment, but rather gentle and embracing, therefore I worked warm colours into the composition to capture peace and tranquility.

The creative process when in full flow, takes on a life of its own, and this painting was no exception.  The flat planes of colour which are my signature style, took on a more fragmented appearance due to the dappled light breaking through the trees.

The painting speaks of the serenity and tranquillity of the rainforest and the interdependence of everything that lives there.  This is true for us humans also, because we too are dependent on the Earth for our existence

2 comments:

  1. Love this Tami - gorgeous colour and movement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wyn for your encouragement. Cheers, Tami.

    ReplyDelete