Saturday, March 31, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #17


Title “Heartland – My Buderim Backyard” (Acrylic) 90x90cm

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

My inspiration for this painting comes from my backyard in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast of Australia. Buderim is situated on an old volcano and noted for its natural rainforest beauty. Many of my paintings are inspired from the natural beauty surrounding Buderim. Nature is my friend. It concerns me that much of the beauty of Buderim is under threat because many of the senior trees in this area that have historical significance are non-indigenous. The original indigenous trees of this mountain were the Australian Red Cedar that was wiped out a centaury ago by the timber industry. The early pioneers replanted the area with non-indigenous trees such as the Poinciana, Fig, Camphor Laurel and Slash Pine. Many of these trees have historical significance. However because they are non-indigenous and are not politically correct, the regional council is proposing to remove these trees off Buderim Mountain. This would be a great loss that would change this beautiful area for ever. .

The name of this painting is derived from the heart shaped leaf of the Monstera Delicio (non-indigenous) plant. Buderim is my backyard. Keep Buderim beautiful.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

Like “Greener” (last week’s post) conservation of nature is the subject. It is well suited to the colour green, which is the dominant colour in both paintings. This painting however is more realistic.

I started this painting by pouring paint onto the blank canvas to break up the white surface. This “breaks the ice” for the painting process. You can see some of that initial application still with the organic growth in the background. I have retained a degree of flatness but have achieved the sense of depth, not by perspective, but by putting darks against lights. This is what gives the painting its representational characteristics. In “Greener” (last week’s post) the painting surface did not have depth and I used analogous colours. Here I use complimentary colours. Complimentary colours are opposite each other on the colour wheel. Both paintings are well balanced and are set in a square.

You can see that I have used different techniques in these two paintings to convey similar meaning. Which of the two paintings do you think expresses the message best? Are you beginning to better understand of abstract art? Can you enjoy and appreciate abstract art more?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tanmayo
    Samantha has just sent me your website. I must say it is an impressive site and your paintings are wonderful. I enjoyed looking through your blog as well and look forward to reading your articles about abstract art. I am self taught although I currently attend classes with an artist called Corinne Colombo in Mt Cotton not far from Redland Bay.
    Will keep in touch.....Cheers, Ellen Paxton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ellen, I posted a reply to your comments last week, did you get it? It is not showing on my blog. Cheers, Tanmayo.

    ReplyDelete