Thursday, August 23, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #38



“Conception”
(Synthetic Polymer)   
100x90cm  

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

The title of this painting came about after this painting was completed - it reminded me of conception or pregnancy.  It was not the intended to represent anything during the process of painting.  The painting was executed as an exercise and as an experiment in colour and technique.

You may also notice I have painted it in Synthetic Polymer.  This is just another way of saying that I have painted it with acrylic paint - there is very little difference.  However the new artist quality acrylics are very specialized as mentioned in last week’s post.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

The point of focus in this painting is the circular image in the lower centre of the canvas.  The composition of the painting is converted from the rectangular shape of the support to a square and the circular point of contact is slightly below centre of that square.

I have used a diagonal from left to right to create interest and tension.  Diagonals are supposed to create feelings of tension in the viewer.  The circular emphasis is repeated a number of times giving an encapsulating feel to the subject. 

The colours used for this exercise were red and yellow and their complimentary opposites - green and purple.   This colour combination probably is what subconsciously gives the painting its visceral overtone.

I experimented with different types of applications.   Variation has been used in the size of the dots on the right side.  Also on the left side the mauve is varied from light at the top to dark at the bottom.  Such contrasts create visual interest.  The darker colour at the bottom also provides grounding for the composition.  Although these techniques have been used for contrast, I have been consistent in my style by maintaining the flat appearance of the overall painting, the texture of which is quite smooth.

This painting and the one discussed in my post #26 called “Relationship” are the most figurative of my abstract paintings.  In both I tried to extend my range of different techniques while maintaining my signature style.

I think that this painting may have more appeal to women than men.  I would be interested to hear your feedback.


No comments:

Post a Comment