Friday, May 17, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #77






“Gifts” 

(Acrylic) 

Size: 90x120cm



ABOUT THIS PAINTING:



The painting “Gifts” was born from grief.  It was started on the day that my partner Stuart died.  This was a sudden death and unexpected.  Below are photos that show the progress of the painting as it evolved over time.  The first (Figure 1) expressed my decision to temporarily leave Australia and travel to India.  I had been wanting to do this for about a year, and this tragic turn of events, cemented this idea.  The arabesques represent the exoticness of Indian culture.  The strong colour also speaks of that culture.  

 Figure 1



My art therapy training has taught me that to externalize my feelings will enable me to understand and process those feelings.  It is not that the feelings go away, but rather, that a maturity evolves as a result of life’s adversaries that enable one to move on in life.  The idea of erasing painful feelings like grief, which are part of life, is naive.  Humans (and perhaps all living creatures) experience pain (either physical or emotional) for a reason.  Pain conveys a message to the organism that it is either doing the wrong thing and to stop doing it, like when you put hand over a flame.  Or as in the case of grief, that something has been irrevocably lost that was of support to the wellbeing of that person.  The feeling of grief is different to that of depression.  It is natural for a person to feel grief for the loss of a loved one.  It is thought that the grieving process generally spansw about a year but it can vary between people and cultures.  Our western culture does not encourage the expression of grief like other cultures.  If one does not recognize ones grief and does not express it, then the person may resort to the use (or abuse) of substances to relieve that pain.  This can underlie addictions where the person is seeking relief from an emotional pain that they do not fully understand.



It is generally thought that the bereaved person goes through stages in the grieving process - sadness and numbness, then anger, then acceptance and moving on.  Theories differ on the number of stages but generally the process is similar over all.

My experience as a qualified art therapist working in Loss and Grief has confirmed this.



Figure 2 and 3 show my art making process and how through elimination I finally arrive at the finished piece.
 Figure 2

Figure 3


Artistic techniques used in the painting:


The finishing of this painting brought with it a certain resolution to my loss.  During the time that I painted it, I contemplated the “gifts” that I received over the time of my relationship with Stuart.  I am not referring to presents that he gave me but intangible gifts one receives through interaction with another.  The “gifts” were painted in rich colours and look a little like gems in a sea of aqua.  There is no attempt to make the forms recognisable.  This is very much the style of my painting throughout my art career.  They are undefined shapes that represent personal experiences, feelings and interactions that I had with Stuart.  The title “Gifts” explains this.  Those who have been following my posts will have read the rationale behind my abstract approach to painting.  In this case it is sincerity with a naked soul.  I will leave it at that today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment