Saturday, May 11, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #76







“Thoughts Moving in Consciousness #2”
Satsang Series
Acrylic and Ink on handmade paper
104x70cm  (unframed)

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

 If there has been one single thing that I have learnt over my life it is that I am happiest when I am in the Now.  It has taken a long time to train myself to be thus.  This does not mean that I don’t remember the past, it is simply that I have no need to dwell on particular past events.  Also if I feel uneasy about something (cognitive dissidence) I can readily trace the source of this unease. This does not mean that my mind is in a bliss-like trance, but rather that my mind is not active until it has to respond to something.  It’s a little like a car which is idling until it is put into gear and the accelerator activated.  

It is quite natural for a human to have thoughts.  A meditative life is when one is consciously aware of those thoughts.  This state of being is what this painting is trying to portray to the viewer.

It was painted when I was visiting an ashram in India.  “Ashram” is an Indian word for a spiritual retreat centre.  There are many different types of ashrams in India and many are affiliated with different teachings and practices for personal and spiritual growth.  The particular ashram where I was staying was not tied to any particular religion and focused on meditation.   (Meditation is not a religion but is a discipline for focused awareness).  The arts (dance, music, painting etc) were encouraged.  There were a couple of art studios in the ashram and that is where I did this painting. 

Artistic techniques used in this painting:

 This painting falls into the category of genre painting.  A genre painting is a painting that is outside of portraiture, history painting or landscape.  It generally is a category for ordinary subjects.  The subject of this painting is the experience of meditation.

The style is abstract.  Many of my paintings could be called Abstract Expressionism and I would class this one in that category.  I find that this style readily lends itself to the abstract meaning behind the painting because the painting is more about the experience of meditation than the concept of meditation.

The title refers to the meditative process where thoughts move in and out of consciousness.  The ink marks splattered randomly at intervals onto the paper represent those thoughts that interrupt the constancy of a still mind – this is what meditation is all about.

The colour is predominantly red-orange which in this case represents high energy and passion (not sexual passion).  It is in a heightened awareness that one attains enlightenment.

The tone of the painting is low without very much contrast. 

This painting is one of the Satsang Series.  Two other paintings in this series are discussed in posts #33 and #66.  They were all painted at the ashram.

It is hoped that these paintings bring people to a better understanding of what meditation is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment