Friday, June 7, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #80







“Bridie - Portrait”

(Watercolour) 

Size: 30x22 cm



THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING:



This is one of the portraits that I did of my family.  Watercolour paint is the medium decided for my granddaughter Bridie because I felt that it best suited her personality.   I painted it from this photograph (below) in a very representational way.  I did this because although many of my paintings are abstract, with family portraiture I am capturing a record of a person in time.






Art Techniques used to achieve this:



I drew the painting first having gridded up the photo. The drawing is seen below:-








Because the photo was taken outdoors, I used what is known as a “Cool Light Sequence”  -  this keeps the background cool and the face and figure warm.  (I have discussed the difference between warm and cool colours before).







The palette used for this painting is as follows:-



Watercolour Palette:

Aureo. Yellow

Rose Madder

French Ultra Blue

Cad. Red

Windsor Blue (or Phthalo Blue)

Indian Red

Aliz. Crimson

Veridian

Cobalt Blue

Light Red

Windsor Green (or Phthalo G.)



I did the background first.  I used 300g watercolour paper.  I saturated the paper with water to paint the background – leaving the paper under the face and hair dry.  I then applied the glazes and allowed the paper to dry between each glaze.  That way I was able to increase the intensity of the colour where needed – ie close to the face.



Painting using watercolour paints requires more experience than acrylics.  It is a very exacting medium.                           



I have written about using watercolour paint for portraits in posts #10 and 64.  I also discussed portrait painting in post #54 where I reviewed other family portraits.  Feel free to back track on this blog to read the referenced posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment