Saturday, February 11, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #10




Title “Portrait of a Granddaughter” (Watercolour) 35x30cm framed

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

The viewer of an abstract painting might tend to think that the artist paints that way because they are not particularly talented. I thought that it is about time that I show you that I can and have mastered painting skills. This is a portrait of my granddaughter. I chose watercolour as the medium because it is soft and best reflects the innocence of the subject. Watercolour is a very difficult medium to use. However once one gets the knack then it can be very rewarding and is ideal for specific subjects such as this one. This painting is a “labour of love” because although I can do portraits I only do them for family members.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

I tend to not be as spontaneous with watercolour as I am with acrylic. I work out the composition and what palette I will use in advance. In this case I painted the portrait from a photograph. I did a sketch and painted the image in a gradation. You can see here I did the gradation in pink using black and white – this I did in acrylic.

I re-sketched the image onto 300g watercolour paper. The colours for my palette were then thought out in advance. I wanted to achieve a cool light as the subject is in natural light, so I kept the background cool and the figure warm. I often keep notes on my painting process particularly with w/colour.

Watercolour Palette:

Aureo. Yellow

Rose Madder

French Ultra Blue

Cad. Red

Windsor Blue (or Phthalo Blue)

Indian Red

Aliz. Crimson

Veridian

Cobalt Blue

Light Red

Windsor Green (or Phthalo G.)

-oOo-

Background: Glaze (AY+RM) with over glaze (FU+AY)

Dress: FU + RM (with lots of water)

Hair: Dark parts WB+IR and FU+IR

Light parts (AY+RM)+V (warm brown)

Also light parts (AY+CR)+V

Or (AY+AC)+V

Bear (Toy) (Light warm green) (WG+AY)+LR with lots of water

Face and Neck: Glaze AY

Face RM/V/CB

Neck AY+V

No comments:

Post a Comment