Saturday, February 18, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #11


Title “Two Nudes” (Acrylic) 90x95cm

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

While on the theme of realistic painting, I thought this painting of two human figures would be a nice transition back to abstract painting.

This painting was taken from a life drawing session. My ability to draw the human figure is good when I am continually practicing it. It is something I cannot just dip into from time to time, though I do get inspiration from the sessions and the interaction with other artists. Good life drawing has to be a discipline which is practiced and needs dedication in attending sessions.

This painting captures simplicity of style similar to some Japanese woodcuts and also Matisse who also borrowed from the Orient. However it was not done with these influences in mind

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

This painting is stylized with little attempt at detail. You will see that a different process is used here than my paintings numbered 1 to 9. I am approaching this painting from a drawing exercise. Red and white dominate the canvas. Green which is the complimentary colour to red, suggests the outline and details. There is no personal emotional expression in the painting – it is simply my representation of the subject matter. This approach is objective – a little like taking a photo of a subject. Many of my abstract paintings however are more subjective in content and often deal with abstract topics. They are created through a more involved process of application and elimination which moves me from the subjective to the objective. During this process I am continually acknowledging the basic principles of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment