Saturday, February 25, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #12



Title “Jewels in the Desert” (Acrylic) 90x120cm

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

Figures 1,2,&3 show you, the viewer, the stages that the painting went through before I decided that it was finished. When asked when do I know when a painting is finished, I would say that, I experience an inner feeling of completeness...a feeling that there is nothing more to be added. I suppose that it is a bit like when a conversation is completed… the conversing couple just know that it has reached its conclusion.

This painting represents experiences that I had while traveling in the USA. There were many “jewels” in an overall experience that was best described as emotionally desolate as I was very homesick for Australia.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

Cold colours underlie the final painting that is an overall russet colour…somewhat like the colour of the Australian central desert. The Australian desert appears to me as not red but more a soft pink colour… it is a place that I was home-sick for while I was traveling overseas. I think that the colour represented a wishful longing to be back home.

The “Jewels” are the experiences and people who I met while traveling. Their richness is represented by colours, that to my eye, are like opals in the desert.

Many of my paintings have flat planes of colour and this one is no exception.

This painting is an emotional expression of my homesickness but also an acknowledgement of the richness of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment