Friday, June 8, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #27



“Relationship” - Sculpture  (Clay)  Size:  60cm high

ABOUT THIS ARTWORK

I would love this sculpture to be reproduced bigger - say... the size of a car!  I think that it would be fantastic to be able to sit inside it.  With the new technology, who knows, it may one day become a reality.  It would look good made of white fiberglass and set in a sculpture park where children can play on it. 
 
I developed this clay sculpture from a small maquette I made.  Again I created this piece under the supervision of sculptor Janna Paneijer (see post #25).  It represents the male and female union on both a spiritual as well as a physical level.

Artistic techniques used in the sculpture:

The clay form is hollow inside and is supported by “walls” a little like a house structure.  This allows for it to be the size that it is – 60cm.  The sculpture took 5 bags of clay.

I would say that my artworks, both sculpture and painting reflects my unique brand signature.  The abstract form speaks of simplicity and a paring down of unnecessary elements so that the essence of the subject is revealed.

One’s artwork should reflect a personality and if you are honest with yourself, art can bring you in contact with personal insights.  As an art therapist by profession, I stress that it’s always better to ask the artist what the artwork means than to presume that you, the viewer, knows.  Everyone projects their own experiences onto the outside world.  

Do you see the brand signature in my work?

Next week I will take a famous painting called “Little Spanish Prison” by American Abstract Expressionist, Robert Motherwell.  I will discuss and compare his use of artistic techniques in that painting, and how I have used similar techniques in a painting of my own.  Techniques that make both paintings appear as if they have been dashed off, but are in fact rendered with considerable thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment