Saturday, June 16, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #28




“Motherwell Revisited - Little Aussie Cell”  
(Mixed Media with found objects on Belgian Linen) 
Size:  80x65cm
 
ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

I drew my inspiration for “Motherwell Revisited – Little Aussie Cell” (“LAC”) from the American Abstract Expressionist, Robert Motherwell's painting "Little Spanish Prison" (“LSP”).  I painted this painting around the time of 9/11 so it has political connotations similar to Motherwell’s which was painted in 1941.  I created my painting by taking specific elements from Motherwell’s painting and using them in mine.  So in this post I will compare and contrast the two artworks.



Motherwell also did this.  He is said to have painted “LSP” as a kind of homage to Mondrian and that “LSP” is more remarkable for the ways in which it differs from Mondrian than in the ways in which it resembles him.  Therefore my painting “Little Aussie Cell” (“LAC”) is similarly a homage to Motherwell.

The title of my painting is a play on words meant to point out the duplicity of Australian and American government around that time.  The words “Cell” and “Prison” have similar meaning and are used in the title of both paintings.  The word “Cell can also means, prison cell, terrorist cell, and living cell. Therefore the title of my painting is a bit of a joke or “tongue in cheek”.

Also the images in my painting are taken from my local environment.  This accounts for the word “Aussie” being used in my title. The yellow amorphous shapes (like living cells) are from a photo of the pitted rock formations taken at Point Cartwright headland, and the red symbol is an actual found object from Mooloolaba Beach (on the east coast of Australia) near where I live.  



Artistic techniques used in the painting:

Motherwell is an Abstract Expressionist. He said he painted for two reasons: (1) to generate new imagery or work out pictorial problems, and (2) for what he calls the sheer pleasure of it.  Like Motherwell, I experiment with space and colour, juxtaposing flat planes of spatial expression punctuated with focused interludes of rich colour.  My colours are orchestrated in an informal but playful way, thus generating a sense of ordered limitlessness.

In Motherwell’s “LSP” the pale, bar-like vertical field of yellow and white and the horizontal red form, seem at odds with each other. This serves to give drama to the image.  In my “LAC” I have kept the same colours but deliberately changed the bar-like vertical forms.  In so doing I began to appreciate that the white lines in Motherwell’s “LSP” are anything but casual – although they do look that way.  The shades of grey are carefully placed to achieve the drama that his painting exudes.  I have utilized the white/grey in my painting to achieve a similar affect but instead of having a vertical emphasis I have created a circular movement in the white/grey plane.

Collage plays an important role in Motherwell’s art.  He takes elements from the real world and places them in the artificial environment of his paintings. This is, in a sense, similar to what we know as modern life.  I have also used collage but wherein “LSP” the red form is horizontal, I have placed my red collage in a vertical position reminiscent of Motherwell’s overall vertical emphasis in “LSP”.   The red upside-down circle in my painting symbolizes the "land down under" which is an affectionate reference to where the continent of Australia is located on the Earth.  It also refers to the instability of those times when things seemed turned about.  I painted this around the time of 9/11 when terrorism and The Patriot’s Act was in the forefront of the news media.

Initially I removed the orange border on my painting so that it was more consistent with Motherwell’s painting, but later decided that the painting looked better with it, and so repainted it.  Also the orange border gives the feeling of viewing from outside, or re-viewing a similar theme that was presented by Motherwell.

Doing an exercise such as this, provides a learning experience for all artists and gives one an appreciation of just what goes into a truly great painting.  I urge you to also try such an exercise.  You will learn a lot. 

Reference:  “Motherwell and Post Modernism”.


No comments:

Post a Comment