Friday, December 14, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #55





Title:   “Soft Glances” 
(Pastel, Oil and Fibreglass Resin on Masonite)
61x92cm
Highly Commended in the Garden City Art Prize


THE IDEA and TECHNIQUES  BEHIND THE PAINTING

As opposed to last week’s portrait, this painting is not a portrait of anyone.  The face emerges from a background of tertiary amber colours in oil paint.  The face is drawn with pastels.  It is purely an experimental piece but was successful in that it was highly commended by the judges in the Garden City Art Prize.  The painting was finished in a coat of fibreglass resin.  I used the resin which has a similar finish as Liquid Glass, a product that is available in art and some hardware store.  However I was uncomfortable about continuing to use it because I feared that it may not be healthy for me to use without a protective mask.  Since I find masks difficult to wear, I ceased using that type of finish although it looked great and really enhanced the colours. 

These days it’s acceptable to outsource different techniques and I suppose I could do this, however I tend to like to do my own art making and do not find it as satisfying to get someone else to do a stage for me.  This is probably because the process of art making is as important to me as the finished product.  However I produced only a couple of these paintings and then disbandoned the technique and style which is very different to the way I typically paint which is now my brand signature.

This painting style also proved financially successful – it seems that people like to “see” something in a painting. However it is ironical that people will listen to a piece of music and at the end they never say, “What was that about?” but when they look at art they seem to need to have a clear visual story for them to interpret and appreciate.  Without that they seem to be lost.  I suppose that is the reason I write this blog - in the hope that people will not rely on visual cues in order to appreciate and enjoy abstract art.

The hereunder is my only photo of the complete painting.  As you can see the high finish on the painting reflected the flash.



No comments:

Post a Comment