Friday, December 7, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #54





Title:   “Portrait of Cheyne” 
(Acrylic)
76x76cm


THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING

I have painted several members of my family over my art career.  Although I prefer to paint abstract paintings, I don’t approach a portrait in that way.  In fact I am very representative when it comes to portraits.  The reason for this is that I want to represent each individual as I literally “see” them.  If I was to represent them abstractly, there would be a different interpretation of the subject by each different viewer.  My family members are important and precious to me and I want them represented in an unequivocal way.  A portrait painter has the power to portray their subject in a favourable or unfavourable light – I do not want to cast good or bad impressions on my family.  Therefore I paint them literally from a photo.  I can see some people throw up their hands and exclaim “A photograph!” but get over it, I know my family as well as anyone and that is the most convenient way of replicating their image in this busy world.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

I chose acrylics for Cheyne’s portrait.  Her personality is best reflected in a medium that yields strong colours. 

Cheyne has blue eyes.  At some stage she had an item of clothing that looked particularly good on her.  It was a tee-shirt that parodied the super hero “Superman”.  The blue colour of that tee-shirt was very flattering and brought out the colour of her eyes.  I accurately matched that colour for the background of this painting.  I deliberately left a white area – a space into which she could evolve and grow.  Also the white area balances the overall composition.

Western artists throughout the ages have used grids to transfer images from one surface to another larger surface.   Also painters have over hundreds of years used projection devices (camera obscura was discovered as far back as the 4th century BC).  Leonardo and Vermeer both have been thought to use these devices from time to time to get an exact image onto another surface.  Most of the very large life-like portraits that are popular in recent times have been done with projectors.

I used a grid to scale up Cheyne’s image onto the canvas.  The photo from which the portrait was taken was a very free and relaxed representation of her taken at the beach.  It captures a playful, happy aspect of her personality.

We all possess an “internalized image” of ourselves formed from experiences we have had throught out our life.  I have known people who are extremely beautiful who do not believe that they are so.  It is important for me when I do a portrait to represent that person as they are and not in the abstract because they may interpret this abstraction as a negative image whereas I might be conveying something completely different.  This is why I am scrupulous in getting a “true” likeness of my subject.  The photo from which I take a portrait also provides what I want to depict.  It is not selected at random but reflects certain aspects of the subject’s personality that I want represented in the portrait.

I love the freedom in which Julian Freud (the famous British artist whose paintings I greatly admire) paints but isn’t each portrait which he produces also a reflection of him?  Each artist approaches their artwork in different ways and I have just explained the way I choose to approach the portraits I do of my family.  Perhaps at a future time I will become more abstract in my approach - time will tell.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment