Friday, December 28, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #57 (New Year)





“Phoenix”
Rose wood (antique) and Feathers 
102x77cm 

ABOUT THIS ART OBJECT:

The phoenix is a mythical bird who after wandering the desert for 500 years, was believed to have consumed itself by fire, only to rise again from its own ashes with renewed strength.

I feel that the phoenix is appropriate to New Year because a new year arises from the old year.  It is a time of renewal when resolutions are made for the coming year.

Artistic techniques used in the art object:

This art object was born from my coming by two incidentals.  The first occurred on my return from camping at Carnarvon National Park which is located in Queensland's central highlands.   While driving along the road I happened upon a large freshly killed bird whose magnificent feathers I salvaged.  The second was a part of an antique Chinese rosewood lamp that was kicking around the house but was too good to throw away.
When I salvaged the feathers, somehow I knew how I would set them to good effect and honour their beauty.  I drilled holes into the rosewood lamp base and set thin wooden skewers in the direction I wanted the feathers to stand.  I then glued them in place and inserted the shaft of each feather onto the skewers.  Little had to be done after that other than polishing the rosewood.   Thus a phoenix was born.

I think that this symbolizes the New Year and I would like to thank those who follow my blog for their support and wish them all the very best for 2013.

I also want to say that a 2013 calendar features one of my paintings which is a great honour.  The National Rural Health Alliance that produced the calendar is Australia’s peak non-government body for rural and remote health and the Alliance’s vision is good health and wellbeing in rural and remote Australia.  The calendar is available to you FREE of charge from nrha@ruralhealth.org.au  -  if you would like one sent to you – just email them.  If you would like to read about my painting that is featured in the calendar, go to Understanding Abstract Art #4 on this blog.  It’s title is “Up”.


 http://www.buderimartstudio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment