Friday, April 26, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #74





“Beau”
 (Watercolour on paper) 
Size: 44x55cm (approx)

ABOUT THIS PAINTING

 I have four daughters and two are married with children.  I have painted portraits of all my grandchildren.  The surrogate child of one of my other daughters was a pet Pomeranian dog called “Beau”.

It is well known that for some people grief can be as strong for the loss of a pet as it is for a lifelong human companion.  So when Beau died at the age of 14 years, I did a portrait of him for my daughter who does not have children. 

We all know that animals have personalities and this becomes very evident when one paints the likeness of a pet.  Below is a photo of Beau.  You must agree that I have captured the personality quite well.  



Although this blog is about Understanding Abstract Art, I include this painting so as to show that even though I prefer painting in an abstract way, I do have the ability to paint in a representational way particularly if the subject calls for this style.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

This painting of “Beau” falls into the genre of portraiture. Note the difference in approach between my abstract portraits reviewed in posts #70 and #71 and this one.  All the paintings of my grandchildren (including Beau) are done in a representational style because I feel that it provides a token of remembrance.

I chose watercolour for this portrait because of Beau’s personality.   He was a fun and loving companion.  Also his very appealing looks which went with his nature.  I chose the medium of watercolour paint because I felt it best captures these endearing attributes.  Of course this is purely a subjective decision.

A painter has many choices when starting a portrait (even a portrait of a dog).  The artist can choose to depict the whole body, or alternatively, just paint the face.  What is included in the portrait should always be intentional and indicate something about the subject and their personality.  Because Beau was small and white I chose to focus on his face.  This was the most defining aspect of him and captured his loving personality.

I painted this portrait in a medium/large size because Beau was a small dog with a big presence.

The tone is high to med-tone showing high contract between his features and his white fur.  I have also used a limited pallet to enhance this tonal affect.

The form is quite flat.  This is indicative of my general style even when the subject matter is representational. 

The composition is static and balanced.  The medallion design strategy is used.  This gives a feeling of importance to the subject otherwise one would see just a little ball of white fluff.

Isn’t he endearing?  Don’t you love him?

No comments:

Post a Comment