Friday, April 12, 2013

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #72






“The Fractured Earth #1”

Rockscape Series

(Watercolour and Gouache on paper) 

Size: 98x83cm (framed)



ABOUT THIS PAINTING



 I am fortunate to live in a very lovely part of the world.  The coastline of the Sunshine Coast, Australia can boast of sandy beaches and blue clean surf.  Also the coast has a temperate climate and sunny days hence its name. 



History is recorded in the rocks that form some parts of this coastline.  These weathered volcanic rocks, seen at Point Cartwright, are where I frequently walk.  I photographed these abstract shapes that have formed naturally eons ago.  They represent to me the span of time that this great land mass, (Australia), has been nurturing life.



When looking at this present coastline, one must realize that over the last 800,000 years there has been much change.  In fact geological studies reveal that about 120,000 years ago, Point Cartwright and her sister headlands were small islands.  The sea level we now experience has existed for the last 6,000 years carving the present rockscape of honeycomb weathered Landsborough sandstone.  The patterning is thought to be the result of the surface drying before it consolidated.



However science is showing us humans that the oceans and the coastal regions are in trouble.  This concern for the natural environment is the reason I painted the Rockscape Series.  This series, based on the photos I have taken of the rock formations at Point Cartwright, have inspired the series of ten watercolour and water media paintings called “The Fractured Earth – Rockscape Series”.  This is the first in the series - #1.  


Artistic techniques used in the painting:

The photo that inspired the painting discussed this week, is seen below.  It is a rockscape.




 

I originally sought to paint the photo accurately but with this particular painting during the art making process, I took artistic licence.  This process allowed me to maintain the abstract format that I favour for many of my paintings.   Seen here below is my rough drawing for the painting.







All ten paintings in the series are on full size sheets of watercolour paper and are framed in uniform.  Some of the other paintings in this series are reviewed in posts #19, 67 and 69.



Water colour painting is often very traditional and representational.  In this series I have tried to keep to the traditional application but have varied the subject matter to be abstract.  The size of these paintings also deviates from the traditional in that I have used full size sheets.



I would argue that the genre would fall into “Landscape” because of it being a Rockscape.  The abstract composition is however not as abstract as one would initially think because, the painting is consistent, in part, with the photo.



The composition is static, flat and balanced – typical of my Abstract Expressionistic approach.  The form is flat with fairly large planes of colour for a watercolour painting.  The tone is low to medium because there is not a lot of contrast.



A Triadic Colour scheme is used throughout.  Orange is the main colour.  Its compliment is Ultra Blue.  The Supporting Triadic Colours are Manganese Blue and Mauve (made from Permanent Violet and Rose Madder).  The Analogous Colours used here are Red Orange and Cad. Yellow.  Black (made from Prussian Blue and Perm. Rose) and White are also used.



Most of my paintings address abstract themes and the rationale behind them is discussed in more detail my 3 min. video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ2MzRmoKBA



I welcome your comments and value your interaction.





No comments:

Post a Comment