Friday, November 9, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #50





Title:   “Crystal Vision” 
(Acrylic)
90x120cm


THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING

Every encounter with a blank canvas is a journey into unmarked territory.  “Crystal Vision” is no exception.  This painting was one that I did when I was in the USA.  It was at time in my life when I was in transition and represents my looking towards my future.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

The pallet is limited to Blue and Orange which are complimentary colours or opposites.  Also White was added.  The application was with mainly a roller.  It was not possible to get the same art tools in the USA as I had in Australia – for instance the foam rollers used in Australia were not available to me.  I therefore had to experiment with other types of applicators.

I was studying Expressive Art Therapy at the university at that time and doing a great deal of inner reflection.  Also my life had changed radically and I was now on another life’s journey.

The painting resembles a landscape, and in hindsight, I think that the painting unconsciously portrayed my inner reflections on what my future life would hold.  Also I painted this work in the depths of a northern hemisphere winter which was not my natural climate experience.  I think that is reflected in the cool colours that dominate the painting.

The point of focus is the blue square in the upper centre.  The composition is dominated by the horizontal emphasis that cuts across the picture.  It cuts the painting in half.  Contrasts create interest in the viewer.  There is a contrast between the calmness of the upper part of the image and the lower.  This too tends to reflect my mood at the time, in that my material world was more chaotic than my inner self.

When I left the USA to return home, I brought only four paintings back because of cost.  I removed them from their supports and rolled them for travel.  They then had to be re-stretched upon my return.


No comments:

Post a Comment