Friday, November 30, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #53





Title:   “Scene of Action” 
(Inks and Enamel on Masonite)
46x61cm


THE IDEA BEHIND THE PAINTING

This painting is the prototype for a much larger painting which won Highly Commended in the Warrana Festival Art Prize.  It was a mixed media and called “Space Encompassed” (90x120cm).  It also is in the Caltex Collection.

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

With all my art making, it’s a matter of enquiry, problem solving and resolution.  This could concern issues of a personal, political or global nature.  Or it could be of a technical artistic problem.  People who have been following my blog will know that I do not just paint a picture... there is always something deeper going on.

 The smaller painting shown here titled “Scene of Action” represents experimental art.  I began by pouring inks onto a sealed masonite board.  At the time I was experimenting with inks and air-brushing.  I had a small air brushing kit that used pressure packs to spray fluids.  I poured the green inks and then the reds were applied with the air-brush.  It was a very spontaneous way of producing a painting.  I then reproduced this painting onto a 90x120cm board.  This used all my skills and painting experience because I was reproducing something that was initially born from chance.  However I did accomplish this and it was highly commended by the judges at Warrana Festival.

I re-named the bigger painting “Space Encompassed” because the focus point is the red space in the lower centre (slightly to the right).  The viewer’s eye is drawn into this area of the painting as if into “a still space beyond all the action”.  The name of the prototype being “Scene of Action”. 

I used enamel on the larger painting along with inks, whereas on the prototype I used the air-brushed inks.

Although the prototype was produced randomly, the larger painting had to be scaled up and the spontaneous dribbles and pouring had to be reproduced.  It is not easy to do this and keep the spontaneous look.

I really urge painters to experiment with new materials.  It is only through trying out different mediums that you start to get experienced in just what they can do.  Then when you want to achieve a certain effect, you will be able to select the best medium to achieve that effect.  This is what painting is about – along with the traditional techniques of colour, composition, texture, design, emphasis and meaning, the knowledge of different and new materials is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment