Friday, November 16, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #51





“Jewelled Fan with Woven Handmade Paper Case"

Fan - Feathers, Crystal and Turquoise with Fur
Case - Handmade paper by Tanmayo - woven  
Size - Fan 56x35cm and Case 64x40cm


ABOUT THESE TWO ART OBJECTS:

Creativity is within all of us: we just have to unlock our potential.  I wrote my book to help get the message out there that we are all able to create artistic objects.  The feeling of passing on a talent makes this blog and my book worthwhile. 

The Fan:  This art piece is a homage to objects found in nature.  It was created from nature and is meant to be treasured.  I found the feathers scattered in a forest.   I was bushwalking in the forest when I found them.  The bird must have fallen prey to some wild beast.  I collected the best of them to fashion into a fan. 

I attached a large elongated Australian quartz crystal which became the handle of the fan. The two turquoise stones were bought from a gem shop and the fur was recycled from an op shop.  All these “sacred” and “precious” objects came together to make this art piece.  I followed no preconceived plan - I just figured it out.  Feathers are beautiful mysterious objects and deserve nothing less than precious stones and fur to compliment them.


The Case:   The case is to protect the precious feathers.  I attended a paper making workshop by Christine Bellinger.  Over the course of the weekend we cut and boiled many varieties of vegetation to make different types of paper.  The process was fascinating and gave me a deep respect for paper and how it is made.  I cut some of the sheets that I had made at the workshop into strips and wove them into a case to fit the fan.  I then lacquered the case for durability.

I admit that this is not abstract art but nevertheless it does demonstrate creativity and that is central toall art making.  Why don’t you try something like this today?  Choose some items that are precious to you personally and fashion something unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment