Friday, November 2, 2012

UNDERSTANDING ABSTRACT ART #49




“Ripe”
Acrylic  
31x31cm 

ABOUT THIS PAINTING:

This painting deals with the bounty we enjoy in Australia.  The title says it all – we need to be vigilant in preserving the balance of nature on this planet for our continued existence.  We need to keep the environment balanced and healthy. 

Artistic techniques used in the painting:

I approached this painting as an exercise in colour.  I set up the composition with real fruit and also controlled the background colours so as to paint what was exactly there and not what my mind told my eyes what it thought was there. 

I used what is known as a “colour spot” which essentially is a mid gray card (20x20cm) with a whole (about 1 cm in diameter) punched in it.  When an object is viewed through this device, it enables one to discern the exact colour one is looking at and screens out what you “think” the colour should be.  The effects of light are constantly changing: for example, variables like distance, weather etc all affects our surroundings and the way we perceive them.  Also colours are affected by the company they keep – colours that are nearby change the appearance of adjacent colours.  I refer you to a book called “How to see colour and paint it” by Arthur Stern.  NY: Watson Guptill Pub. 1984., for further information on this if you want to try it for yourself.

The painting’s composition is balanced and simple.  I applied the acrylic paint with a pallet knife so therefore the painting is slightly textured.  By using a knife I was able to get crisp sharp edges.  Although the painting is realistic,  I kept the background predictably flat which is indicative of my style.

The paint was mixed to the colour I observed through the “colour spot” and then applied to the picture.  My pallet of colours was restricted.

Painting is something that one continually learns.  Few people can say that they don’t need to challenge themselves by learning different techniques.  The joy is in the journey and not in the arriving.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Atta for your comments and encouragement. I enjoy being able to share it with you. It is a way of life... do you paint too?
    Cheers, Tanmayo.

    ReplyDelete